June 22, 2008

The housewife translator and Excel

I gotta tell you guys why I have been away from this blog for so long.


First I went on vacation for ten days (YAY!) back in May, photos to come on another post, soon, I promise.

And then when I came back home, I decided to make my company grow, become a real corporation, and not a one-Dekka company anymore. THIS has consumed my head and my time.

The thing is I am a translator, not an executive. My head thinks and processes words and languages, and sentences, and ideas, not numbers and balance sheets and bank statements, even though I am pretty good with math, and logical thinking. But going from one to the other is a huge step. It involves learning, a lot of learning too, new things and concepts. But I do have a partner now, which makes things easier. Two people thinking together.

So suddenly I find myself struggling with Excel spreadsheets, contacting designers to make our website, dealing with notaries and bank accounts and managers, getting new phone lines and faster internet, all of that while translating and coordinating translator teams. Woosh.

The upside is that my dream will now come true, and Oficina do Texto will no longer be a one-Dekka company.

The downside is that Excel is dumb, and it won't understand what I need, and it complicates my life a bit. But ok, life with no complications would be too boring.

So sit tight. Soon you'll have good news on Oficina do Texto.

0 comments: