January 12, 2008

How I killed the Grasshopper

So last night it arrived. It just got in, and started flying around. Benji was sleeping on the couch with mom, and I was praying he wouldn't wake up and start hunting the poor green thing. Well, he didn't, the little green thing was safe for the night.

It was a beautiful little green creature, too. Looked like a leaf, a very bright shade of green, something like this:




Anyways.

This afternoon, I found it on my living room's window, sitting there just looking outside. I even think I heard it saying how unhappy it was being inside and not outside where it belonged.

What would you do, Reader? Exactly. I took it very carefully, and threw it outside the window. It flew away so happily! Then it landed on the grass, where I kinda lost it, since it was the exact same color of the grass.

It took two seconds. TWO. The green thing landed on the grass, one, two, the bird arrived. I thought, no, it's not gonna happen. In fact the bird just stood there for a while, and I thought, hmm, it's tired from flying around, it's resting.

But no, the bird grabbed the grasshopper with absolutely no ceremony, and just flew away.


***

Moral of the story: A being outside its natural world is not necessarily lost, it might well be just hiding from the monsters.

Moral of the story 2: Do not interfere with other beings' lives, or in other words, mind your own damn business.

Moral of the story 3: If a fairy flies into your house, offer her a glass of wine, something to eat, and make her stay. You wouldn't want to kill a fairy.

0 comments: